Monday, August 13, 2007

Savoring a Finale

So, many people look at me funny when they find out that I've had Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows for a week and I'm not done yet. I've actually kind of surprised myself by not zipping through it the way I did the first six books. But when pondering this, I've come to the conclusion that I'm not ready to let go. I started reading Harry Potter, convinced that I wouldn't like it, but wanting to know what all the fuss was about...J.K. Rowling had me hooked from just a few pages into book one. Since then, I've zipped through the books. They're easy reads, but tremendously entertaining and wonderfully fulfilling. I've always eagerly anticipated each book launch, even spending some evenings at book store release parties and waiting in line til after 1 am to get it as soon as I could. But for the first time, I'm realizing that when I'm done, it's really over. There are no more books; nothing to look forward to. I realize how much I've made literary friends with Harry, Ron, Hermione, the Weasly family, and all the wonderful eccentric characters that enliven my imagination. I've enjoyed reading as they've grown up, from the 11 year-old boy who started the series, to the 17 year-old young man that is concluding it. And I don't want to say good-bye yet. So I'm savoring this last book...really taking in each and every word, paragraph, plot-twist, and all. And I'm reading it in my own time. So that by the time I finally turn the last page, I'll be ready to say good-bye to Harry and the gang. But until then, this muggle is enjoying her imaginary wizard life :-)